Wednesday, April 20, 2011

And so it begins!

I have always wanted to write a blog about something but I just never had something worth writing about. But I do now! I have just been cast as Anytime Annie in 42nd Street. For those who may not know this is a huge tap role and I want to do it complete justice. However, there is a catch, I am a very novice tapper. So I have started practicing today and my goal is to practice every day until we open to get this thing right. I have always wanted to learn how to tap dance and I feel this is the perfect challenge for me and a perfect opportunity. I have never been handed anything in my life, I have always worked hard for it and this is not exception. But I am definitely going to need some major help.

So here is where you come in. Each day I will be posting questions about tap dancing that I have. These questions will be based on my experiences that day and what my brain has come up with. If you can provide any help in this process it would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my questions for today:

1. Where should my weight be? I have read many differing opinions saying forward, center and back. What is the best?

2. When I shuffle or flap some times I do not hit the floor at all or I will hit it with the front of the tap or scrape the floor. I started lifting my toes all the times and this seemed to help. Is this a good way to work?

3. I noticed tightness in my hips today, should they be more relaxed.

4. I pride myself in having great rhythm. However, my feet want to do whatever they want. As much as I try to control them, they won't listen to me. I am trying to keep the rhythm of different time steps and my feet want to land whenever they want. What can I do to help this situation?

5. Are hops supposed to involve your heel? I feel so heavy when I hop and I am not sure how far off the ground I am supposed to get or what kind of sound I am supposed to make?

6. Someone please explain to me how in God's name is a pullback possible?

I know there is more but I left my notes on the piano at the theater. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I am so excited about this process and I can't wait for some great advice.

Thank you in advance for following...71 days until opening.

Jessica

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok. I will try to give you some advice!! 1. Weight should be on your toes, but keep a strong center... 2. Whatever helps you get out ALL the correct sounds out works 3. If your not used to tapping alot , you will feel tightness cause your are using muscles that are not usually used. 4. Your feet may be needed to move to a diff beat than what you hear.... listen for all diff beats 5. No, hops do not involve your heels. 6.a pull back is all in the shift in body weight. Takes a lot of practice to get it, but once you do it once, its pretty easy!

Hope some of my opinions help. Good luck and congrats