Friday, April 22, 2011

Stop Thinking!

I was very happy to have a teacher today rather than my own voice in my head. Megan, a castmate of mine, was nice enough to meet up with me and share her knowledge. I was excited and nervous all at the same time. When we met at the theater it was clear that we were fast friends and she was very patient with me. She gave me great tips about keeping my feet under me and also enlightened me about not moving my knee (which helped me control my body better). She also let me wear her amazing, expensive tap shoes and let me tell you I felt like a pro just wearing them. We went over some of the audition combinations and it further confirmed that I think too much. But I am proud of myself because not once did I breakdown and get hard on myself (my go-to reaction).

We attempted pullbacks and it was not successful, yet! I have a hard time figuring out how to get both sounds. I know I just have to do it and feel it in my body but some times I want instant gratification. Who doesn't, right?

Any way, I don't really have any questions today because I had someone to answer them so I will leave you with some quotes from the amazing Fred Astaire (who I have been watching religiously at work).


“The first thing you want to realize is that dancing is fun, it’s not something to get all tense and strained and tied up in knots about. Dancing is a relaxation, not a drudgery!”

“The chief thing is self-confidence. Don’t be afraid to try anything. Try it and you find that it comes easier with each successive start.”


Thank you Megan for an amazing afternoon and thank you to those who are following my journey. I am am so excited about this experience.

Goodnight...69 Days until Opening Night!

Jessica

1 comment:

Megan A. Ruhl said...

You were an AMAZING student today!! Very egar to jump right in and learn! You just need to get out of your head and trust that your feet can do it! I'm VERY excited to see how you will progress in the next 69 days!