Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Never underestimate the value of a good teacher!

Today's blog is dedicated to my castmate Crystal. I went to her studio in Bonita yesterday. As I waited for her to arrive I walked down the hallway looking at all the dance pictures of her and her students in past competitions and shows. And I remembered when I was a kid and I would see my friend's dance pictures, I always had this feeling of pure envy. I wanted to look that beautiful and elegant. I wanted to dance. I have always wanted to be a dancer but was never given the opportunity as a child and as a teen and young adult I always told myself that I was too old to start. Hear me now, YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO START! You just have to do it.

That's why I am so excited about this process. It is giving me the opportunity to let go of the excuses and do what Nike tells me to: Just Do It!

So back to the tap lesson. Crystal helped me to realize what it meant to use my ankles but also how to keep them loose. I never understood that concept before. In every move, I was always using my foot to create the movement and sound. But now I see that it comes from the ankle. She also helped me become aware of how to lift my body while thinking in to the floor, another concept I did not comprehend. And even though I am an athlete and in good physical shape, this is a whole different ball of wax when it comes to your muscles.

Crystal was very patient with me and helped me through the mechanics of the basics as well as some more advanced stuff. I feel like I have a totally new way of working and now I have hope for crazy speeds.

In all my excitement to throw myself fully in to this process I was very disappointed that I was unable to work on Easter. The theater was closed and I couldn't figure out where to go. I know everyone needs a day off but if you are motivated to do it, Do It! So yesterday the husband and I took a trip over to the Home Depot and picked up some masonite and foam core and voila I have an instant tapping space on my lanai. I'm sure my neighbors will be thrilled!

Today is Day 2 with Crystal and I am very excited to work with her for 3 hours! I'm so close to pullbacks, I can practically hear the cork popping on the champagne.

Today's Mantra: Hard Work, Determination and Patience, Never Fail!

Oh yeah, 67 Days until Opening!

No comments: