Thursday, April 21, 2011

They Make It Look So Easy...So Must I!

I waste too much of my time being anxious about life or dreading my daily appointments. Anything that isn't lying in bed with a book or a show I've seen a million times is too stressful. Well while standing around at the gym today and going over my day I started getting anxious about the boot camp I was going to do today with a very fit and fun lady and I wondered why am I anxious? It's a pattern, instinctual. Well I have decided to look forward to everything I get to experience in life. I think if I flip that switch and look forward to everything rather than worrying about my possible failures I will find things come easier, like tapping.

I was watching Fred Astaire and his many wonderful partners this morning and I marveled at how easy they make it look. They even have these moments where they pretend to look bored and they just relax their entire body and you can tell that they are not even thinking. It's really fun to watch. I want to look like that.

So I worked for about an hour and a half today. I feel that it is very helpful because I am learning where my body needs to be positioned. But I still feel very heavy. I am trying to think down and light at the same time and wondering how the heck you do that. Then I started pretending I was Fred and Ginger and just closed my eyes and took it easy and...IT WORKED! Maybe for only seconds but I saw glimpses of good tapping today.

I am trying desperately not to rush but as soon as I get it slow I want to try it fast and that is just not good. But I am not getting frustrated with myself yet which is a huge plus. Here are my observations for today:

1. Which part of my foot should I visualize striking the floor with on flaps and shuffles? I noticed I have a tendency towards my big toes. This causes a lot of scraping (YUCK!) Should I think toes? If so which ones? Or is it more a toe lifted thing, striking with the ball of the foot?

2. A big shout out to my friend Jaymi who posted yesterday. I mastered hops today because of the advice on no heel involved. That helped me stay forward and also helped me find a lighter jump. THANK YOU!

3. I was working on my double and triple time steps today and was wondering does the step involve the heel? I tried it without and it sounded much better but it wasn't easy.

4. I attempted pullbacks today. I think I did one real one and the other ones were...well, let's just say I was glad I was alone in the room. Looking forward to working with people who know what they are doing so they can help me master this. The day I get pullbacks I will be having a glass of champagne. Anyone is welcome to join me.

A BIG HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has been so super supportive and has offered their help. I am working with Megan (she's in the show too) tomorrow. And then Crystal, who is playing Phyllis in the show, next week. I am looking forward to getting some great advice from people who really know what they are doing.

Until tomorrow...70 Days until Opening!

1 comment:

Megan A. Ruhl said...

We only like to let you think we know what we are doing! JUST KIDDING!! I'm looking forward to helping you tomorrow! I will help you with all of your questions and by the time you are done with Crystal next week you will be a POFESSIONAL!!!